ABOUT THIS ENTRY
FC Bayern, together with its partner Audi, created the first-ever digital summer tour during the team’s preparation for the UCL 2019/20 knock-out stage (July 25th – August 2nd).
How does this represent “Excellence in Engagement”?
Through various content formats tailored to an international audience, the digital tour connected with followers around the globe. Examples include surprise calls by Javi Martinez, Thiago and Thomas Müller with fans, many of them medical workers, in China, Thailand, Brazil, Canada and the United States. In addition, FC Bayern players interacted with influencers & top athletes like Steve Aoki (US), Guillermo Ochoa (LATAM), Alex Hua Tian (CHN), Zou Shiming (CHN) and players from FC Wuhan and DC United.
This approach created increased relevance in target markets and gave the club & its partners access to an audience far beyond the FC Bayern fanbase around the world. The astounding impression and engagement figures prove the success and popularity of these new content formats among viewers worldwide. The digital tour overachieved on set goals and created numerous opportunities for commercialization acting as a best-case example for future, more digitally-focused initiatives in this new environment.
Objective: Due to the corona pandemic, the team could not travel abroad for the regular, annual summer tour in 2020. Despite the travel restrictions, FC Bayern and Audi have found a creative way to bring the team close to the fans worldwide while generating significant media value for partner Audi.
The objectives were:
- Develop a completely new program to compensate the cancellation of the first
- team summer tour for partners, media & fans
- Create relevant content for a global audience without physically leaving Munich (at least one highlight piece per tour day)
- Achieve fan engagement, brand exposure and media values comparable to previous, regular summer tours
- Achieve coverage on external channels (e.g. influencers, media partners, DFL)
- Deliver significant media value to club partner Audi
- Create further integration opportunities for other club partners
Strategy & Execution: In previous years, FC Bayern traveled either to the United States or China for the annual Audi Summer Tour to engage with local fans in market, which was not possible in 2020. Without the physical limitations of being only in one market, the digital tour allowed FC Bayern & Audi to engage with fans around the globe with a focus on the target markets USA, LATAM, China and Southeast Asia.
During the Audi Digital Summer Tour, FC Bayern allowed deep insights into the team’s preparation with two live training sessions, the broadcast of the UCL preparation match against Olympique Marseille and several media rounds with players, the coach and board members. Further fan interest and engagement was generated through numerous creative content formats tailored to an international audience, e.g. athlete/influencer collaborations, fan surprise calls and a daily live show in English and Chinese language.
Through surprising influencer/athlete collaborations, direct interaction with locals fans, and the distribution via short clips on the various social media channels, the Audi Digital Summer Tour is a best case example on how to engage with the modern sports fan.
- Created relevance and follower engagement worldwide through collaborations with local influencers/athletes and content tailored to an international fanbase (e.g. fan surprise calls)
- Reached media values above previous tour average
11 player and board media rounds including interviews with journalists from 53 external international media
- Audi was integrated as naming rights sponsor and organically in various content formats
- Integration of 13 commercial partners via branded content, adidas Away Jersey launch, product placements & stadium brandings
- Extensive global communication, two live training sessions, a daily live show format (ENG & CHN) and various content collaborations
- Preparation match broadcasted in 74 countries
- OOH brand exposure with the lighting of four buildings (T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, New York Times Square, Sinar Mas Tower in Shanghai and Allianz Arena in Munich)
- “Penalty Challenge” as one of the most successful content pieces on FC Bayern platforms ever with over 20m views across all channels
- Second best month on YouTube in club history
- Fulfilment and compensation of numerous contractual partner rights
BRANDS AT THE LIVE SERIES
CONTENT x SPORTS BETTING
Over two days, sports betting + media will converge to discuss the North American fan. Learn the insights and strategies needed to develop partnerships, create and monetize betting content, and drive critical revenue and engagement.
May 12-13, 2021 (Virtual)
TRANSFORMING THE NEXT DECADE
Hashtag Sports® is the leading platform for media and marketing professionals and the next generation of creative talent across the converging sports and entertainment industries.
From unparalleled experiences like our annual conference and the Hashtag Sports Awards presented with Budweiser to inspirational digital content and mission-driven initiatives, Hashtag Sports is the benchmark for fan engagement and the go-to resource for the development of a new sports and entertainment ecosystem powered by digital media, content, culture, purpose, and technology.